Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Christmas has come and gone!


Here it is, December 26th, another Christmas has come and gone! This year, my holidays were, finally, enjoyable for me. After years of missing my Dad and Grandmother and thinking that the holidays would never again be as enjoyable for me without them, I'm happy to report that while I do and always will miss them, I loved Thanksgiving and Christmas this year! It was actually a bit surprising to me and to Santa too!

On Saturday night, at dinner, I found myself playing with Alexis and Paris (two of my step-granddaughters). Being playful is something I haven't done much of these last few years. Alexis and I actually had a conversation (she'll be 5 soon) about "slime" there's a new kind out, it's different from the old "slime" it has bumps in it! And, more than once, I saw Paris justing standing or sitting looking at me (she's 3). She was probably thinking "Oh my goodness Spicy actually talks and laughs!" I haven't interacted with this children much until that night. I loved every minute of it and it's just the beginning of a whole lot more of playing with those children.

On Christmas Eve, Laran and I went to Candle Light service at the beautiful old Methodist Church on the SMU campus, the service was beautiful, the church is beautiful and everyone there was in the spirit. Laran hadn't ever been to candlelight service before and it was an incredible gift to have her next to me for her first one. Going to candlelight service on Christmas Eve is my new tradition. Christmas Eve, my parents arrived, I was happy to see them! After a recent conversation with "The Princess" www.santasmoon.blogspot.com I've had a whole new attitude toward my mother, and for Christmas I gave her a book about "Love" inside the book of quotes and comments about Love, I wrote my own book to her about the love I want to share with her. I showed her more of myself in my writings then I ever have before, I'm going to give her all the love I can, so she'll have plenty to give me back! And, of course, along with her came my jewel of a step-father, a wonderful man, kind, loving, gentle man. We had a great dinner prepared by The Chef, friends came to visit for dessert and I was off to bed early to get ready for Santa's arrival the next morning.


Christmas Morning, Santa had been there with great stuff, breakfast prepared by The Princess and then gifts were exchanged with family! The Chef had written The Princess a book of instructions for receiving her gifts, it was great fun to watch as she discovered her stuff. It's a wonderful feeling to know that her husband loves her so much!

Then back to Houston with a smile on my face, all the while thinking about my most treasured gift. Laran and Greg chose two charities to give to this season. The North Dallas Food Bank and The Smile Foundation! They made donations in honor of some of us to one of those charities. The donation in my honor was made to The Smile Foundation! And Smile I did during the holiday and the coming year will bring more Smiles from me. It's a gift indeed to be able to smile without a flaw and to look around my family and see their smiling faces. I'm honored and pleased that I had a donation made to The Smile Foundation for me! My charity for this season was the Susan Koman Breast Cancer Foundation.

Hope all of you have a Smiling New Year!

No comments: