Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Post borrrowed from www.myspace.com/lisabravo

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Welcome to 2007, Ben Franklin Style Current mood: awake Category: Life
"Dost thou love life? Then do not squander time, for that is the stuff life is made of." I was not too surprised to discover slightly shortened version of this great quote, seen briefly on a sign outside of Twelve Oaks in "Gone With The Wind," is attributed to Benjamin Franklin, the 6th President of the United States and acknowledged discoverer of electricity. This quote is so profound that it stands on it's own with no elaboration, except that it has had special meaning for me as of late due to specific happenings in my life as well as events involving someone close to me. Although squandering time has always been one of my favorite past times, suddenly it seems less appropriate. I now lean closer to the sentiment of our 16th president, Abraham Lincoln who said "Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle."As a cynical optimist, I also still relate closely to the less known words of Ben Franklin, whose greatest quote may have been "Fart Proudly." These words also has had a lasting affect on my psyche, begining when I first heard the remark as a teenager. Although I don't literally break wind publicly and with smug glee, I have always put the practice to work figuratively by standing behind my tastes, convictions and even more importantly when coming to loyalty to friends. To remain in integrity, one must stand behind their beliefs and never be afraid to say what is true to their own self. I have never had much tolerance or interest in those so weak of mind or character that they bend like reeds in the wind to the tastes and convictions of others without pause or consideration of the results. It is never so important what others think as what you in your heart believe.To this end, I welcome the new year and urge everyone to fart proudly and do the hustle.
..
Currently listening : The Hustle & The Best Of Van McCoyBy Van McCoyRelease date: By 12 September, 1995

No comments: