"It is shining the light that one has in a more positive, meaningful direction, and accepting, valuing, and respecting the light that shines into one's private world." - Kram
The Prism Award win has drawn my focus to the artist whom I've always referred to as "My Elvis." What "My Elvis" means to me is, that guy that you think will make things right and good. It can be the boy next door, the captain of the football team, or a Rock Star. For me, it was the Rock Star. At the age of sixteen when I saw "Three Dog Night" for the very first time, it was the first time I felt the excitement of instant attraction, not only to the music but also to the guy with the mustache. The attraction is still alive and well today (something I've spent a whole lot of time denying).
This morning, while reading Chuck's Guest Book, disturbing feelings appeared. I'm prouder of Chuck's solo success than words can tell. I always knew he was the best of the best and he was the heart and soul of "Three Dog Night" for me. I remember back in 1998, "Three Dog Night" was playing in my town, Chuck asked me to go see them. I went, with my sister, who was always a Cory Girl. Out of respect for her, I suffered in silence until she finally said "Let's get out of here, I've had enough!" The show wasn't good, neither of us enjoyed it. Even though that was the case, I didn't want to tell Chuck I felt that way. The show they were doing was an insult to my history and his, damaging to my memories of that group that had always meant so much to me. No one wants their history to show up badly. From that moment on, my conviction became "I never want him to work with those people again, he can do better and be better on his own without them." But, I'm puzzled by what Chuck is now doing.
The discussion about fans being disappointed after going to a "Three Dog Night" show and not seeing Chuck and the "Hall Monitor" making a point of the fact that the shows being billed as "Blood, Sweat and Tears with Special Guest" making more money then "Three Dog Night" is absurd, ridiculous and should be more than a little bit embarrassing to Chuck Negron considering what's going on in his career now. After years of a successful solo career, it now seems that Chuck and his management think that more money is all that matters. And, since the name "Blood, Sweat and Tears" is evidently more valuable then the very successful solo career Chuck had built, its ok to deceive the "Blood, Sweat & Tears" fans and the rest of the public with the shows that are being done. It would appear that its ONLY money that matters, not truth and honesty in artistry. That sucks!
How do you think the fans of "Blood, Sweat and Tears" who are going to buy tickets to see that show only to find that it is Not "Blood, Sweat and Tears" at all and that they have been totally deceived are going to feel? They will be buying tickets to see a whole lot less of "Blood, Sweat & Tears" then the fans that buy tickets to see "Three Dog Night". The group being sold as "Blood, Sweat & Tears" is only a couple of guys tooting horns, no one else in the line up ever had anything to do with "Blood, Sweat & Tears." In addition, if you go to the websites of the venues where those shows are going to be, what you will find is not a picture one of the lineup of what is being called "Blood, Sweat & Tears" because its NOT "Blood, Sweat & Tears" and Chuck's management doesn't want to the public to know that so, no pictures please. Pretty amazing when you consider the posts on Chuck's Guest Book and the attitude about "Three Dog Night." Also pretty amazing when you consider the great strides Chuck made in creating a solo career, only now to be part of the bogus show being visited upon the public and the fans of "Blood, Sweat & Tears."
What bothers me the most on a personal level is, I can hear Danny and Cory laughing their heads off making comments like "Oh, he can't be in 'Three Dog Night' so he'll pretend to be 'Blood, Sweat & Tears'. Chuck has to pretend to be someone other than who he is to beat us!" The most amazing part of all, way back when, in 1989, Danny and Cory filed a Temporary Restraining Order against Chuck for using the billing "Chuck Negron, formerly of Three Dog Night." They were scared to death over Chuck even appearing in the public even with that billing, they know who the best is. Evidently though, being "formerly of" wasn't enough for Chuck or his management, he has to now be "Special Guest" of a phony "Blood, Sweat & Tears" just to make a few more bucks. That sucks even bigger!
Everyone that knows me knows I love quotes. The old-standard that comes instantly to mind in this situation is "Do unto others as you would have others do unto you." The current lineup of "Three Dog Night" is Not the lineup of history and the current line up of "Blood, Sweat & Tears" is Not "Blood, Sweat & Tears" at all. Is it ok for Chuck to make more money by doing shows with a "pretend" B,S&T but it's not ok for Cory, Danny, Michael and Jimmy to make a living off of a history they truly played a part in because Chuck's not there? If you can think that's ok, you are capable of more arrogance than I.
And now, to address the above quote and why I used it. When you've been in a place of being full of fear from your own actions, your own words and your own life, it's an amazing thing when the fear disappears and you are no longer fearful of stating your opinion and being fully willing to take responsibility for that opinion by expressing it in an open forum. I'm at that place. I have a light shining in my life that was missing for a very long time. That light is the light of telling the truth no matter what the consequences. Being fearful, deceitful, pretending or telling lies has no place in my existence. If the truth causes pain, so be it. I've always loved the music of "Three Dog Night," and even more, the solo career of Chuck Negron. The deceit being visited on "Blood, Sweat & Tears" fans, the public and Chuck having any part of that makes me want to scream in pain. Which is what I think I just did! The quote "To Thine Own Self Be True" actually comes from a line from Shakespeare. I've always found it interesting that the entire line is never used because what it actually says is "To thine own self be true, then thou can't not be true to any man." In my opinion, Chuck Negron is not being true to who he really is nor to any man when he shows up as a "Special Guest" of a phony "Blood, Sweat & Tears."
Who is Chuck for me? The best, the most talented and My Elvis. He doesn't need to pretend, I don't understand why he's agreed to be part of that make believe.
1 comment:
You have said what others have been thinking.
Post a Comment