Yesterday, I received a phone call from a very, very close friend. Another one of those people who has been there for me through it all, for reasons that I can't even imagine, he has been there. We are the most unlikely, likely pair. We can spend hours talking about nothing, sharing our storys, our love for music, the similarities and the differences in our lives and the love we both have for laughter. When we are in the same room, it's like sitting in an overstuffed easy chair. The comfort his presence brings to me is amazing and I have a difficult time keeping my hands off of him, but lovers we have chosen not to be, that would get in the way of us sharing each others escapades. Because of geography, most of our relationship has been about hearing each others' voice on the phone. When I hear his voice, my world lights up, whether its on my voice mail where he's left a silly message or me answering and knowing that the next hour or two will be filled with giggles and maybe even a few tears.
Yesterday was no different except for the fact that the tears usually come when we are deep into a conversation, not from the opening sentence. My friend found out yesterday, he has cancer. It has been caught in the early stages and the tumors already removed, the hope was that no maligency would be found, unfortunately it was there. Now, the treatment begins. What lies ahead for me is being there for my favorite easy chair. And so, in keeping with the nature of our relationship, I dried my tears and started telling stories "remember the night we did. . . remember the time that he did. . ." Gales of laughter rocked our hearts, we've shared alot of fun. I'll be there for him through his dark days like he was for me, we'll share our tears and we'll laugh until we've dried each others tears. I'll slay the dragons with him, no matter what it takes, I'm not ready to miss him or give up all the smiles he brings to my face!
I love you Thumper!
No comments:
Post a Comment