Monday, May 08, 2006

The continuing journey

Being peaceful is, quite often, difficult in the world we live in, but mostly because we choose not to be peaceful within ourselves. Finding peace within is a challenging but incredible journey. I now am able to much more often attain inter-peace thanks to the steadying influences I have in my life and all the reading and introspection I've done on my own. Below is a quote from a Vietnamese Zen Monk who is also a Christian. Contrary to popular belief it is possible to be a practicing Buddhist and believe in God. I've read almost everything he has written and I dream about one day going on a retreat to one of the centers he has created. His teachings have, on many days, comforted me and pointed me in a better direction.

If we are peaceful, if we are happy, we can smile and blossom like a flower, and everyone in our family, our entire society, will benefit from our peace.
-Thich Nhat Hanh, "Being Peace"
From "365 Buddha: Daily Meditations,"

1 comment:

LaranO said...

Lately, what I pray to God to help me with is having peace in my life and for those around me to feel peaceful within themselves. The prayer helps so much.